Mike Ditka died today at 86. While celebrity deaths are depressing, it’s also easy to remember all the great things associated with someone as colorful as Ditka. The Chicago Bears’ legendary coach wasn’t just known for winning the Super Bowl with the iconic 1985 iteration of the team; Ditka was famous for how be went about his life and career. He had a lot of opinions, and he wasn’t afraid to share them.
To honor Ditka, let’s look back at some of his best quotes ever.
“I always tell people I want to live to be 150 and they say why would you want to do that. I say, well there’s a few people I haven’t made mad yet, I want to get them.”
Ditka was incredibly popular in Chicago, but he knew how to ruffle some feathers with people outside of the city, and he knew it. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it to 150 years, but he made plenty of people angry in 86.
“What’s the difference between a 3-week old puppy and a sportswriter? In six weeks the puppy will stop whining.”
Apparently, journalists have always gotten under NFL coaches’ skins. I wonder what Ditka would have thought of coaching during the social media era?
“Effort without talent is a depressing situation… but talent without effort is a tragedy.”
This is a great quote to remind even the most gifted individuals that they still need to put in 100% effort to improve every single day on the field and in life.
“Success isn’t permanent and failure isn’t fatal.”
Sports are a roller coaster of emotions. Staying in the middle will alleviate the major emotions that come with success and failure.
“I put some Tabasco on things, and there’s really nothing in Tabasco, it’s not bad for you in any way, so that’s kind of become my substitute. Now you got to get used to a hot mouth, but that’s okay.”
No analysis here. Just coach Ditka’s musings on hot sauce.
from Men's Journal https://ift.tt/H2uKzoy
No comments:
Post a Comment