Thursday, 13 August 2026

Matthew McConaughey Recalls How Jennifer Lopez “Helped” Him Out of Bind with Police

J. Lo to the rescue? Well, kind of, if you ask her The Wedding Planner co-star, Matthew McConaughey. He recently served as a guest on the Happy Sad Confused podcast with host Josh Horowitz, and the Academy Award winner shared how Jennifer Lopez, in a way, helped get him out of a “major mess-up” in Mexico with the police. Lopez didn’t put on a cape or even really lift a finger, but helped spare him a ticket or worse, South of the Border. Here’s what happened. 

Matthew McConaughey Got Pulled Over and Name-Dropped J.Lo

Matthew McConaughey flirts with Jennifer Lopez in a scene from the film 'The Wedding Planner', 2001. (Photo by Columbia Pictures/Getty Images)

Photo by Columbia Pictures/Getty Images

On the episode of Happy Sad Confused released on August 13, McConaughey talks about a number of things with Horowitz, but a brief story about a night in Mexico quickly stood out. McConaughey shares: 

Wedding Planner got me out of a major mess-up in Mexico one time. I pull in one late night, and I’m crossing the border going way down south, and I get pulled over. And it’s one of those pull-overs where they noticed me, the gringo in a truck, a nice truck, this is that dressed down. And I’m like, ‘Ah geez, get the wallet out. Here we go.’ It was going down, and then I brought up, ‘You guys know Jennifer Lopez?’ And I was like, uh, I was like, ‘Ever see Wedding Planner?’”

McConaughey then proceeds to point to himself as he continues to recount the story, and then notes that the police who pulled him over eventually recognized him from the movie. He then took pics with the officers before they just let him go. So again, Lopez didn’t exactly make any calls or do much of anything besides do an impressive job in The Wedding Planner and being the recognizable star that she is to help prevent McConaughey from going to the slammer. 

‘The Wedding Planner’ Celebrates 25 Years

Funny enough, The Wedding Planner actually celebrates its 25th anniversary this year, having been released in theaters on January 26, 2001. It follows Lopez’s Mary as she plans a wedding for a wealthy client and her soon-to-be husband, Dr. Steve Edison (McConaughey), only to inadvertently fall in love with Steve by mistake. While Rotten Tomatoes makes it clear that critics panned the film (it has a 17% Tomatometer score), it’s available to watch on Netflix in case you want to see if critics were wrong.

Related: 10 Years Ago Today: One of the Greatest Westerns of All Time Was Released



from Men's Journal https://ift.tt/WXjCHs8

No comments:

Post a Comment